Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Numbers:

I hate them. They suck. But here they are. You can't face the music about shedding some poundage if you don't face the numbers. So here we go:

Weight: 193
Height: 5'7" (I don't really expect this one to change very much.)

Giant wake up call. According to a couple of different BMI calculators (and yes, I checked a few because I didn't want to believe the first one) this puts my BMI at 30.2. That's Class 1 Obesity.

Fuck.

Bust: 40"
Waist: 32 1/2"
Hips: 48"

I entered all these plus a few other numbers into a handy dandy calculator and came up with 27.33% body fat. That's over a quarter of me. Ick. I'm still in the acceptable range for my height and weight, but it's definitely not the lower end of the range.

But if you put those numbers into a hip to waist ratio measurement, I'm healthy as a horse and at really low risk for disease.

See this is why I had such a hard time getting started. I ignored the numbers and went based on look and size. I still wear the same size jeans I wore in high school. I don't look much different. I don't gain weight around my face, and I gain it proportionately. And a bit of that weight is muscle. So it's hard to pin down an actual problem...until it's in numerical form.

I'm attaching a really unflattering picture of myself  along with a really good one so you see what I mean.
Now, even in this one, I'm sucking my tummy in, angled to be slightly more flattering and have my arm held away from my body so it doesn't squish out and look bigger. ALL THAT WORK! It's ridiculous.

Now here's one, that to my knowledge hasn't been shopped:
And I don't think I look half bad. The arms are a little chunky and the cut of the dress hides a multitude of sins.

I need to stop dressing to hide the problem and actually address the damn problem.

4 comments:

  1. I don't think either of those pictures are "really unflattering"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The second one was meant to be a good one. The first one is one I feel gross about. I told you I felt like a I looked like a troll in those pictures from that trip. I packed unflattering clothes!

    I banished worse ones to the abyss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually think you got it backwards! You look thinner in the top photo to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just goes to show how people see different things, and parts of me that I think are a problem area (i.e. ANKLES!) don't even get noticed by others, and areas that I don't think are half bad are trouble spots.

    And if you're right, I'm still not a happy camper.

    ReplyDelete